In this two-day class, Pam Carriker and Mary Beth Shaw spill the tricks of the Art Journal by offering processes that range from beginner to advanced. Starting with backgrounds to making collage parts to color management and composition and even interactive pages, the sky is the limit! Students will learn a variety of techniques including creating a mixed media self-portrait, creating painterly stencil effects and layering with a multitude of supplies. You will delight in how Pam and Mary Beth bounce ideas off one another and exploit all the potential of their chosen supplies. Join them for the quintessential Art Journal experinece!
You will receive in-depth instruction from both Pam and Mary Beth regarding:
- Various background techniques for creating uber-layered journal pages
- Color Management using several types of paint - Pam Carriker paint and inks and Golden Fluid Acrylic paints (psssst, this has been described as "life changing" by many students). You will never make mud again.
- How to create truly artistic page spreads with new tools and supplies, using the elements of design as your guide
- How to insure that your pages aren't "sticky"
- Positive and negative space to help your pages pop
- Making your own stash of collage items using sanded paper, paint tape, Gelli plate, Kraft paper, stickers and more. Learn to personalize your supplies.
- Using cutouts or portals to add depth and detail
- Mark making with Liquid Pencil, nibs and Paint pens
- Using Distress Crayons for painterly effects
- Composition and more composition, using stencils and the Goldn Mean
- Integration of collage into backgrounds with glazing and resist techniques
- Arrive & Settle: 9:00 :: Time for students to arrive, and settle.
- Class Segment A: 9:30-12:00 :: Class time with Pam and Mary Beth who will demonstrate and guide the 1st part of class.
- Lunch & Stroll: 12:00 PM :: You can choose to brown bag it or take a stroll to one of the many hip and artsy eateries in the historic Artist's Village in Santa Ana, like Black Market Bakery, C4 Deli, Chapter One, Boldo, 4th Street Market, Cafe Calacas, Crave, and The Gypsy Den.
- Class Segment B: 1:30-4:30 PM :: Class time with Mary Beth and Pam who will guide the 2nd part of class.
- Show & Tell, Clean-Up & Depart: 4:30-5:00 PM
Kit Fee: $20 (paid in cash to instructors)
- Custom stencils to keep
- Stabilo pencil
- Sanding block
- Sponge applicators
- All paints, mediums, inks, Liquid Pencil inks, markers, pencils, Gelli plates, stamps and stencils to use in class
- A special kit of collage and paper supplies the teachers have selcted for use in class
- Paper for journal cover
- Class handouts
Students are asked to bring the following to class:
- Canson Mixed Media XL journal, 7x10 or 5x7 size to fit journal page, black and white copy of a front facing "selfie" type photograph (this is just a reference photo to work from)
- 6B (soft lead) pencil
- Bone folder tool (for burnishing)
- Colour Shaper tool, firm 1" or larger
- StazOn (or other permanent stamp pad), black or gray
- Brushes for painting and gluing
- Baby wipes
- Paper towels
- Small spray bottle for water
- Soft rubber brayer
- Metal ruler
*can bring additional collage materials, stamps and stencils if desired
Please read class policies for Studio CRESCENDOh here. By purchasing this class, you are agreeing to abide by the class policies.
ABOUT THE ARTISTS:
Pam Carriker is an artist, author, and instructor.
Learn more about her here.
Mary Beth is an artist, author and instructor.
Learn more about her here.