ON A DEEPER LEVEL
2-Day Workshop on October 7-8, 2017
207 N. Broadway St., Studio L
Santa Ana, CA 92701
Join me for this two day art workshop, where we will dig deep into our
memories, desires, and thoughts to unveil personal meaning in our work.
This workshop will focus on painting the portrait in a less traditional
style, adding details and marks that make it your own.
Day one will be writing, drawing, and painting,
while exploring all the ways we can use marks to reveal knowledge about
the portraits we wish to paint. I will give you several exercises with
multiple mediums to guide you. We will be using a limited palette of
the primary colors, in addition to charcoal, water soluble crayons, and
ink. There will be multiple demonstrations on both days, covering
sketching out the portrait, mixing flesh tones, and how to add your own
personal style to your work.
will plunge ourselves deeper into our work, as we use all the lessons
from day one to pull together several portrait paintings.
SCHEDULE for BOTH DAYS:
- Arrive & Settle: 9:00 :: Time for students to arrive, settle in.
- Class Segment A: 9:30-12:00 :: Class time with Misty who will demonstrate and guide the 1st part of class.
- Lunch & Stroll: 12:00 PM :: You can choose to brown bag it or take a stroll to one of the many hip and artsy eateries in the historic Artist's Village in Santa Ana, like C4 Deli, Chapter One4th Street Market, Cafe Calacas, and The Gypsy Den.
- Class Segment B: 1:30-4:30 PM :: Class time with Misty who will guide the 2nd part of class.
- Clean-Up & Depart: 4:30-5:00 PM
SUPPLY LIST: All participants are asked to bring the following to the workshop:
- Heavy body acrylic paints including these colors:
- Titanium white
- Primary red
- Primary blue
- Primary yellow
- Paintbrushes in a variety of sizes
- White gesso (a small jar is all you need)
- Palette paper
- Water-soluble crayons (you only need a few of your favorite colors)
- Small stack of portrait images you are drawn to
- A small spray bottle for water
- Surface to paint on: wood or canvas or paper. I prefer painting on wood or watercolor paper, but canvas is just as wonderful if that is what you prefer. 11x14 inches or larger. Please bring 3 or more, one of each or all the same is fine
SUPPLY KIT FEE: An additional $15 kit fee for supplies that Misty brings for each student to use will be collected by Misty during the class. This will include a sketch journal, pencils, and other materials added.
- Misty will have a limited number of art items on hand for those interested in purchasing her art.
- Due to limited class size, the spot for this class is transferable but payment is non-refundable. Please read about this policy in our Studio Policies.
Please read class policies for Studio CRESCENDOh here. By purchasing this class, you are agreeing to abide by the class policies.
ABOUT THE ARTIST:
Learn more about Misty Mawn here.