Nourishing the Creative Heart: Personal Expressions in Mixed Media
with Katie Kendrick
2-Day Workshop, June 29–30, 2013
207 N. Broadway St., Suite L
Santa Ana, CA 92701
"We will discover the nature of our particular genius when we stop trying to conform to our own and other people's models, learn to be ourselves and allow our natural channel to open." —Shakti Gawain
For these two days we'll mindfully explore personal expression; focusing on the possibilities and techniques inherent in collage, painting, and the combination of these mediums to create personal mixed media artwork.
Together we'll collectively embark on a creative and soulful voyager to discover and uncover more of our hidden and authentic genius as we create a sacred space where we're free to explore method and madness with gratitude and joy.
As a group field, we'll hold the intention of being a conduit for creative flow, allowing us individually to more easily access and explore the transformative nature of the process in an authentic and meaningful way.
I will demonstrate a variety of mixed-media exercises and techniques that we will playfully explore while experiencing our creativity expand.
SCHEDULE for BOTH DAYS
- Arrive & Settle: 8:30 :: Time for students to arrive, settle in.
- Class Segment A: 9:00-12:00 :: Class time with Katie who will demonstrate and guide the 1st part of class.
- Lunch & Stroll: 12:00 PM :: You can choose to brown bag it or take a stroll to one of the many hip and artsy eateries in the historic Artist's Village in Santa Ana, like The Gypsy Den.
- Class Segment B: 1:30-4:00 PM :: Class time with Katie who will guide the 2nd part of class.
- Show & Tell, Clean-Up & Depart: 4:00-5:00 PM
STUDENTS SHOULD BRING
- BASICS: scissors; pencil + notebook or writing paper; apron; paint palette, rags (a couple of old cotton tees are perfect); old credit card or other object to use for scraping
- WATERCOLOR PAPER: 140 lb. hot press. I recommend having a minimum of ten 9 x 12 inch sheets.
- COLLAGE MATERIALS: images and patterns that speak to you. Include some text in your piles. If you're driving and have magazines you want to share with your classmates, please bring them.
- SMALL JAR OF SOFT GEL (MATTE): we'll use this as an adhesive for our colalges.
- WHITE GESSO: 8 oz.
- ACRYLIC PAINTS: whatever colors you want to work with + primary red, blue, and yellow, for mxiing flesh tones.
- PAINTBRUSHES: an assortment of various sizes you like to paint with, including a fine-tip for detail work.
- STABILO BLACK PENCIL: #22092-2020 or charcoal pencil.
- OPTIONAL: favorite stamps, stencils, water-soluble crayons, and any other favorite mark-making supplies.
- An additional $5 supply fee for supplies that Katie supplies each student will be collected by Katie during the class.
- Katie will have a limited number of original art items on hand for those interested in purchasing her art.
- Due to limited class size, the spot for this class is transferable but payment is non-refundable. Please read about this policy in our Studio Policies.
Please read class policies for Studio CRESCENDOh here. By purchasing this class, you are agreeing to abide by the class policies.
ABOUT THE ARTIST:
Katie Kendrick is author of Layered Impressions: A Poetic Approach to Mixed Media Painting, artist, and workshop teacher. For more information, visit her blog at www.joyouslybecoming.typepad.com or her FB page at http://www.facebook.com/katie.kendrick.12.