ALLA PRIMA WITH PHOTO REFERENCES
method I will teach is classificed as "alla prima" or (wet on wet),
also known as "direct painting." In this workshop, we will use reference
photos of potraits. With these references, I will show you how I
prepare my substrate and then how I create overall strokes to plan the
face and then fill in details in a manner that captures the essence of
the face, and not just the likeness.
SUPPLIES AND ORGANIZATION
will share details of my supplies and my organizational methods, as well
as tips on how to draw accurately, and the fundamentals of colormixing.
I will also share finishing methods that I consider the final magical
moments of portrait painting.
LESS ABOUT INTUITION, MORE ABOUT ACCURACY
intuition is an element that each of us will use in the class, this is
not a typical "intuitive" painting class where anything goes. It is more
of a technical class where we observe deeply, measure accurately, put
on strokes of paint that are as true to the colors and values of our
subjects. We will discuss concepts of realism, while aiming for magical reaism,
where we look within to make adjustments to the paint that we transfer
from our brushes to our substrates, to make real, the vision of what we
are painting and how we want our painting to look.
With each of
my painting workshops, I come to the class more evolved, with new
insights gained from my continued painting journy. I come with a
commitment to share all that I know, and to help each participant take
that knowledge and use it to paint soon and often, if so desired.
- Arrive & Settle: 9:00 :: Time to arrive, and settle in.
- Class Segment A: 9:30-12:00 :: Class time with Jenny who will demonstrate and guide the 1st part of class.
- Lunch & Stroll: 12:00 PM :: You can choose to brown bag it or take a stroll to one of the many hip
and artsy eateries near the studio.
- Class Segment B: 1:30-4:30 PM :: Class time with Jenny who will guide the 2nd part of class.
- Show & Tell, Clean-Up & Depart: 4:30-5:00 PM
SUPPLY LIST: For your convenience, Jenny will provide walnut oil medium, mineral spirits, and all oil paints for each participant for a kit fee of $10 (cash or chec payable to the teacher during class). This will help you use and understand my favorite paints before you make the investment into buying actual paints from my list. So in terms of what else you need to bring, here is the list:
- SUBJECTS: Reference
photos of people's faces stored on your smart phone or tablet (like an iPad), devices fully charged. Also please print that out the photos from your phone/tablet on a standard sheet of paper. If you have an old
family photo, take a photo of that photo and print it out. Photos with
high contrast (lights and darks) is recommended. Also, if you are able
to bring both a color version and a black&white version, that would
be great. If you don't have a photo, I will have many photo references
that you can use.
- SUBSTRATES: 2 or 3 Ampersand Gessobord (cradled or flat): Some of the sizes that I like using are 6 x 6, and 6
x 8 inches. I also sometimes use 5 x 7, and 8 x 8 inches. Make sure the bords do not have canvas texture or any texture to them. Just the smooth ampersand gessobords.
- KNIFE : 1 small palette knife
- PAINTBRUSHES:: Please don't bring cheap, bad brushes. You will be fighting them throughout the workshop. If you can just afford one brush, get the Bright size 4 linked below.
- PALETTE : Palette or palette paper (I like to use this glass palette with a white piece of paper placed underneath. If I don't have this
palette with me, I like to use white palette paper. I will have extra
palette paper if you need to use mine.
- Easel: Either an affordable metal table easel, or a sturdy wooden table easel
- Panel Holder: Though it is possible to paint on gessobords without these
holders, painting WITH these holders will make a world of difference in
terms of ease. If your bord is 6x6 or 5x7, you can get the smaller
size. If it is or 8x8 or larger, you will want the larger size.
- MISC: Paper towels, apron, two small jars with lids, and baby wipes
- Due to limited class size, the spot for this class is transferable but payment is non-refundable. This means that once you enroll and pay and for some reason you are unable to attend, you can send someone in your place but there will be no refunds.