PP&J Workshop Weekend
with Roben-Marie Smith
October 21-22, 2017
Location: Studio CRESCENDOh
207 N. Broadway St., Suite L, Santa Ana, CA 92701
What’s better than good ole’ peanut butter and jelly? How about two days immersed in the creative process with Roben-Marie? Join her for the PP&J Workshop Weekend!
On Saturday, Roben-Marie will guide you through her solution for bridging the gap between paper and painting and inspire you to approach your art in a new way. You will walk away with a piece of art that is wall ready and ideas that translate to your journal or any other mixed media project!
On Sunday, create your own artsy Pop-Up Fringe Journal out of all the bits and pieces you already have lying around in your stash. Whether you’re a novice book binder, or a seasoned journal-maker, this class will provide you with easy-to-follow instructions to design your own dynamic book and custom pouch. Roben-Marie will provide lots of bits and bobs from her stash, but feel free to bring items from your own as well.
- Arrive & Settle: 9:00 :: Time to arrive, and settle in.
- Class Segment A: 9:30-12:00 :: Class time with Roben-Marie who will demonstrate and guide the 1st part of class.
- Lunch & Stroll: 12:00 PM :: You can choose to brown bag it or take a stroll to one of the many hip and artsy eateries in the historic Artist's Village in Santa Ana, like C4 Deli, Chapter One, 4th Street Market, Cafe Calacas, and The Gypsy Den.
- Class Segment B: 1:30-4:30 PM :: Class time with Roben-Marie who will guide the 2nd part of class.
- Show & Tell, Clean-Up & Depart: 4:30-5:00 PM
SUPPLY LIST: Each participant should bring to class the following:
- Scraps are king in this workshop: think painted or gelli printed papers, old book pages, ledger paper, or color copies of your own artwork. Also Bring a catalog or magazine, etc. I use the Anthropologie catalog but you can use any kind (think Better Homes and Garden, House Beautiful, Coastal Living, etc.)
- Assorted acrylic paints: be sure to include white and black
- Assorted paintbrushes: I like small and medium round brushes. Also a couple inexpensive brushes for use with adhesive
- Apron and baby wipes
- Scissors and ruler
- Palette knife
- Medim or heavy gel medium
- Bookbinding needle and book awl or paper piercer
- No 2 pencil
- X-Acto knife and cutting mat
- Heat tool
- White pen or white grease pencil
- Watercolors or liquid inks (3 or 4 colors is perfect)
- Glue stick and/or liquid adhesive such as collage pauge
- Cloth or rag ( I like to use a piece of cotton muslin)
- Black ball point pen or your favorite black journaling pen
- Liquitex matte medium and dedicated brush (foam is good)
- Mark-making tools - I like using lids to create circle imprints but bring what you like
- Stapler or tiny attacher by Ranger
- Please bring your sewing machine if you are able. If unable, no worries, there will be two machines in the studio you can take turns using
- Small paper cutter
- Corner rounder
- Wax pastels or crayons
- Stabilo Marks-All pencil in Black
TEACHER WILL PROVIDE the following kit FREE for all participants which is valued at $20 per kit:
•Items from Roben-Marie’s new Urban Fringe Art Pops™ Collection
•Assorted papers for the journal
•Paper for the base of the painting
•String and Button Envelope for journal pouch
•Artist Panel - 10 x 10 Cradled with 1 ½” profile
•Assorted elements for the journal (shipping tags, pockets, etc.)
•Rubber art stamps to borrow but bring your favorite “element” type stamps.
•Assorted paints for you to try.
- Roben-Marie will have a limited number of items on hand for sale.
- Due to limited class size, the spot for this class is transferable but payment is non-refundable. Please read about this policy in our Studio Policies.
Please read class policies for Studio CRESCENDOh here. By purchasing this class, you are agreeing to abide by the class policies.
ABOUT THE ARTIST:
Roben-Marie is a mixed media artist, designer and instructor. She designs her own rubber art stamps and colorful art offerings for the mixed media artist. Learn more about her at www.robenmarie.com