Carla Sonheim 2019
207 N. Broadway Street, Suite L
Santa Ana, CA 92701
This class combines three of my favorite things: Animals, Printmaking, and Artist Books! With imaginary animals as our theme, we’ll start with some cutting exercises to create our own stencils from found shapes and contour drawings. From there we’ll be working with a variety of techniques including ghost prints, masking, and transparent layers. We will be working with fluid acrylic paints which gives us some unique results and textures, different from the traditional heavy-bodied paints normally used with the Gelli® Plate… it makes for lots of happy accidents!
Note: These are the supplies that will be demoed in the class videos, and I’ve provided links for your convenience! But you are welcome to substitute any supplies with those you already have on hand.
MATERIALS LIST: Each participating artist is asked to bring the following to class:
– One 8″x10″ Gelli® Plate
– About 20 sheets of hot press (smooth) watercolor paper, about 11″x14″ (suggested: Fabriano, Hot Press Pad, Watercolor paper, 50 sheets (#10145-3150 at Blick.com)
– Two brayers
– a small selection of fluid acrylic paints (I use Golden Fluid Acrylics). Any red, blue, yellow, black… optional green and orange).
– one or two favorite colors of High-Flow Acrylic paints (or similar) (I use Golden brand.)
– 2-5 types of tape. Can be colored masking tape, Washi tape, etc. At least one big roll.
Carla Sonheim is a painter, illustrator, and creativity workshop instructor known for her fun and innovative projects and techniques designed to help adult students recover a more spontaneous, playful approach to creating.
Carla is the author of three instructional art books, including Drawing Lab for Mixed Media Artists: 52 Creative Exercises to Make Drawing Fun; Drawing and Painting Imaginary Animals: A Mixed-Media Workshop and The Art of Silliness: A Creativity Book for Everyone. In 2012 she co-authored Creative Photography Lab with her husband, Steve Sonheim. Together they produce online art classes through Carla Sonheim Presents at www.carlasonheim.com.
SCHEDULE for both days:
- Arrive & Settle: 9:00 :: Time for students to arrive, settle in.
- Class Segment A: 9:30-12:00 :: Class time with Carla who will demonstrate and guide the 1st part of class.
- Lunch & Stroll: 12:00 PM :: You can choose to brown bag it or take a stroll to one of the many hip and artsy eateries in the historic Artist's Village in Santa Ana, like The Gypsy Den.
- Class Segment B: 1:30-4:30 PM :: Class time with Carla who will guide the 2nd part of class.
- Clean-Up & Depart: 4:30-5:00 PM
Due to limited class size, the spot for this class is transferable but payment is non-refundable. Please read about this policy in our Studio Policies.
Please read class policies for Studio CRESCENDOh here. By purchasing this class, you are agreeing to abide by the class policies