Jenny Doh :: Focus on Florals Painting Workshop :: January 26-27, 2019
LOCATION 207 N. Broadway Street, Suite L
Santa Ana, CA 92701
Join me for a 2-day workshop where we will learn to how to paint a floral painting using photo references. Please feel free to bring photo references of flowers that you may want to potentially paint. If you don't have photos, no worries, I will bring plenty of references that you can use. We will start with prepping the canvas and the photo. We will spend time observing the reference to discuss how the direction of each blossom can be actualized as we observe shapes and values and visualize our paintings.
We will then move to making a very light drawing of the reference, then paint the values, and then paint the colors. Throughout the process, we will adopt the THREE Ds of painting where we 1) Deliberate, 2) Decide, and 3) Deliver. I will also help you add finishing touches on the final day.
MATERIALS LIST: Each participant is asked to bring the following to the workshop:
- Photo reference(s) of flowers on your smart phone and/or your tablet
- Two stretched canvases (I will do one demo on an 18x24-inch canvas and a second demo on a 24-inch square canvas.)
- Water-soluble pencil (like a stabilo or a derwent inktense in black)
- PAINTS: Please bring Golden Fluid Acrylics in the following colors: Titanium White, Raw Umber, Titan Buff, Diarylide Yellow, Ultramarine Blue, Pyrrole Red Light
- PAINTS: Please also bring these optional colors: Teal, Green Gold, Prussian Blue, Naples Yellow Pthalo Green, Flourescent Pink (Golden heavy body) and any other colors you feel good about. I really recommend that you bring Golden Fluid acrylics.
- PAINTS: Please also bring these optional colors by Holbein Heavy Body: Jaune Brillant, Aqua Blue, Anthraquinone Red
- PAINTBRUSHES: 1-inch and 1/2-inch short flat brushes (also known as Brights) with long handles. White nylon (or other synthetic bristles) is what I recommend
- Baby wipes
- Palette and/or palette paper (Lately I use palette paper on top of a palette (which can be wood, plastic, glass or anything that is firm) and then when the paper is all used up, I change out the paper
- Paper towels
- Scratch paper or scratch journal to take notes
SCHEDULE for both days:
- Arrive & Settle: 9:00 :: Time for students to arrive, settle in.
- Class Segment A: 9:30-12:00 :: Class time with Jenny who will demonstrate and guide the 1st part of class.
- Lunch & Stroll: 12:00 PM :: You can choose to brown bag it or take a stroll to one of the many hip and artsy eateries in the historic Artist's Village in Santa Ana, like The Gypsy Den.
- Class Segment B: 1:30-4:30 PM :: Class time with Jenny who will guide the 2nd part of class.
- Clean-Up & Depart: 4:30-5:00 PM
Due to limited class size, the spot for this class is transferable but payment is non-refundable. Please read about this policy in our Studio Policies.