Melissa Monroe :: Silly Serious Figures :: April 13-14 2019
In this two day workshop Melissa Monroe will take you through her process of painting “silly serious” figures using reference images and physical items. We will start by loosely painting the animals, people, objects and ephemera that inspire us. Melissa will demonstrate how to turn these figures into meaningfully playful paintings by giving our figures expression through her brush and pencil layering technique.
Melissa encourages us to let go of details and to strengthen our imagination. She will show us how to add simple details to capture a serious expression while still allowing the environment to be fun and silly. By using her layer building and color composition methods, you’ll learn that there is no such thing as a mistake! As a self-taught artist, we’ll learn that you don’t need to be a traditionally trained painter to create a piece with meaningful expression. Sharing her own inspiration throughout the creative process, we will create paintings that bring laughter and tears!"
207 N. Broadway Street, Suite L
Santa Ana, CA 92701
SUPPLY LIST: Each participant is asked to bring the following to the workshop:
- 3-5 substrates 10" x 10" - 14" x 18" (instructor will be using wood panels however you can use paper or canvas if you prefer)
- White China Pencil
- Assortment of Colored Pencils including Red and Black
- 6-10 acrylic paints including: White, Black, Blue, Yellow, Red (Melissa uses a mix of Basic, Golden and Blick Acrylics.)
- Paint Brushes Including 1in chip brush for background painting, Fan brush and a variety of smaller flat brushes paper towels and/or rags
- Pictures on your phone or printed out of some of your favorite items, images or animals. Example: childhood stuffed animal, vintage trinkets, vintage photos, patterns and textures.
- Melissa will have a bunch of images and items to use as reference if you'd like so don't stress if you're not sure.
SCHEDULE for BOTH DAYS:
- Arrive & Settle: 9:00 :: Time for students to arrive, settle in.
- Class Segment A: 9:30-12:00 :: Class time with Melissa who will demonstrate and guide the 1st part of class.
- Lunch & Stroll: 12:00 PM :: You can choose to brown bag it or take a stroll to one of the many hip and artsy eateries in the historic Artist's Village in Santa Ana, like Chapter One, and The Gypsy Den.
- Class Segment B: 1:30-4:30 PM :: Class time with Melissa who will guide the 2nd part of class.
- Clean-Up & Depart: 4:30-5:00 PM
Due to limited class size, the spot for this class is transferable but payment is non-refundable. Please read about this policy in our Studio Policies.