Nick Runge :: Watercolor + Gouache Portraits :: March 30-31, 2019
Join artist Nick Runge for a 2-day workshop where we will learn to paint first with watercolor, and then with watercolor and gouache. We will use photo references as Nick first demonstrates his approach and method while explaining the choices he makes, the intuition that he works with, and chances taken while painting a portrait. As students work on their own paintings, Nick will offer guidance, discussion and instruction for each individual student as they paint.
207 N. Broadway Street, Suite L
Santa Ana, CA 92701
MATERIALS LIST: Each participant is asked to bring the following to the workshop:
- Photo reference(s)
- Watercolor sketchbook and/or small loose sheets of watercolor paper Drawing pencil(s) of any kind Mixing palette Large container for water Paper towels
- WATERCOLOR PAINTS: Any artist-grade watercolor paints that you are comfortable with ... can be sets, pans, or tubes
- GOUACHE: Any artist-grade gouache paints that you are comfortable with
- PAINTBRUSHES: I usually start with a small round brush and work up to big ones. So bring brushes that you already are comfortable with, along with a small medium round brush (#4-6 round) and a larger (#12-16 round or flat)
- Arrive & Settle: 9:00 :: Time for students to arrive, settle in.
- Class Segment A: 9:30-12:00 :: Class time with NICK who will demonstrate and guide the 1st part of class.
- Lunch & Stroll: 12:00 PM :: You can choose to brown bag it or take a stroll to one of the many hip and artsy eateries in the historic Artist's Village in Santa Ana, like Chapter One, and The Gypsy Den.
- Class Segment B: 1:30-4:30 PM :: Class time with NICK who will guide the 2nd part of class.
- Clean-Up & Depart: 4:30-5:00 PM
Due to limited class size, the spot for this class is transferable but payment is non-refundable. Please read about this policy in our Studio Policies.