Calligraphic Mark-Making with Yukimi Annand: 2019
207 N. Broadway Street, Suite L
Santa Ana, CA 92701
DAY 1: starts with making marks with different writing tools and any found objects with Sumi ink on paper. We then develop alphabets with those marks and write some words and texts. We will challenge how much emotion we can put into our marks by examining the speed, the pressure, the direction of strokes, the relationship between marks and white space, and the distance between hand and writing surface.
DAY 2: starts with continues mark-making exercises with colors and different mediums. Then we will construct several small size accordion books with selected exercise pieces. The instruction of accordion book along with basic design layout and composition will be presented for designing effective book pages.
MATERIALS LIST: Each participating artist is asked to bring the following to class:
- Pencil #2(HB), 2B, woodless graphite pencil and eraser
- Black felt tip marker or fine line marker
- Any kind of folded pen you have (New Horizon folded nib recommended)
- A middle size (size 5 to 7) to large pointed brush and/or Pentel Color Brush
- Flat brush ½” and larger
- Your favorite calligraphy chisel nibs and/or automatic pens
- Tools from nature: twigs, pine needles, seeds pods, sticks, seashells, stones, etc
- Practice paper: 11”x17” or larger Strthmore charcoal or drawing paper, 300 series about 30 sheet
- Watercolor and/or acrylic ink (any brand): two or three your favorite colors or colors related to your text
- 6-well plastic palette, dishes for ink and paint, mixing brush, water container
- 2” inexpensive soft flat brush
- Pointed needle tool or tapered awl
- Masking tape and bone folder
- Rag or paper towel, newspaper or tarp for table, apron
- Your chosen text: 7 to 40 words
- Paper: Fabriano Artistico white 90lb, Arches text wove, Fabriano ingres black, Fabriano ingres gray, Japanese calligraphy paper
- Some tools and others: balsa sticks, china marker, double stick tape and cropping squares
- Mediums: Sumi ink, acrylic ink, matte medium, PVA, white and black fluid acrylic paint
Find Yukimi Annand (calligrapher lettering and book artist) on Instagram: @yukimi_annand
SCHEDULE for both days:
- Arrive & Settle: 9:00 :: Time for students to arrive, settle in.
- Class Segment A: 9:30-12:00 :: Class time with Yukimi who will demonstrate and guide the 1st part of class.
- Lunch & Stroll: 12:00 PM :: You can choose to brown bag it or take a stroll to one of the many hip and artsy eateries in the historic Artist's Village in Santa Ana, like The Gypsy Den.
- Class Segment B: 1:30-4:30 PM :: Class time with Yukimi who will guide the 2nd part of class.
- Clean-Up & Depart: 4:30-5:00 PM
Due to limited class size, the spot for this class is transferable but payment is non-refundable. Please read about this policy in our Studio Policies.
Please read class policies for Studio CRESCENDOh here. By purchasing this class, you are agreeing to abide by the class policies