Gouache Portraits with Jenny Doh 2020
207 N. Broadway Street, Suite L
Santa Ana, CA 92701
In this 2-day workshop we will paint with gouache on paper to create portrait(s) from start to finish.
DAY 1: We will practice warm-up exercises to get us familiar with the properties of gouache and then spend the rest of the day drawing the subject and then value-painting the subject.
DAY 2: We will add color to the value painting from day 1 and then mount the work onto board. Depending on time, you may be able to start and even finish a second work on this second day.
- I will provide (almost) everything you need including my favorite 300 lb hot press Fabriano paper cut to size. I will also have gouache for you to use and mounting board. The cost for these materials is included in the price of this workshop. No additional kit fee will be collected.
- Please bring
- PAINTBRUSHES: My favorites are the synthetic Golden Taklon bright (aka: short flat) brushes by Trekell. If you can't get the ones by Trekell, there are other synthetic brushes by different manufacturers.
- FAVORITE DRAWING PENCIL & ERASER
- PALETTE: I will use a butcher tray (about 7x10 inches in size: made of metal and coated with white enamel and blue enamel rim). If you don't have one or if you don't want to buy one until you see how it is used, just bring some palette paper.
- MISC: apron or smock; paper towels (blue shop towels by SCOTT is my favorite); journal or scratch paper, small jar or container for water
SCHEDULE for both days:
- Arrive & Settle: 9:00 :: Time for students to arrive, settle in.
- Class Segment A: 9:30-12:00 :: Class time with Jenny who will demonstrate and guide the 1st part of class.
- Lunch & Stroll: 12:00 PM :: You can choose to brown bag it or take a stroll to one of the many hip and artsy eateries in the historic Artist's Village in Santa Ana, like The Gypsy Den.
- Class Segment B: 1:30-4:30 PM :: Class time with Jenny who will guide the 2nd part of class.
- Clean-Up & Depart: 4:30-5:00 PM
Due to limited class size, the spot for this class is transferable but payment is non-refundable. Please read about this policy in our Studio Policies.